Where does foreign aid really go? 7.5% of it goes into offshore banks. Abstract: Do elites capture foreign aid? This paper documents that aid disbursements to highly aid-dependent countries coincide with sharp increases in bank deposits in offshore financial centers known for bank secrecy and private wealth management, but not in other financial centers. The estimates are not confounded by contemporaneous shocks such as civil conflicts, natural disasters, and financial crises, and are robust to instrumenting with predetermined aid commitments. The implied leakage rate is around 7.5 percent at the sample mean and tends to increase with the ratio of aid to GDP. The findings are consistent with aid capture in the most aid-dependent countries.
Elite Capture of Foreign Aid : Evidence from Offshore Bank Accounts (English) | The World Bank
More from UncategorizedMore posts in Uncategorized »
- FULL RELEASE: Ashley Biden Diary Reveals Child Sex Trauma, Drug Abuse, Resentment For Joe
- Watch “Source Shows Video and Texts of CNN Producer Fantasizing About Sex Acts with Fiancé’s Young Daughter” on YouTube
- SARS-CoV-2 B.1.1.529 (Omicron) Variant — United States, December 1–8, 2021 | MMWR
- Watch “Kyle Rittenhouse Trial LIVE – Jury Deliberations DAY 2” on YouTube
- Watch “Kyle Rittenhouse Jury Deliberations LIVE – Waiting for a Verdict” on YouTube